Monday 23 March 2009

"Wagner without Fear" - my favourite guide to Wagner

This is not a new book. I was surprised to see that the first edition goes back to 1998 but William Berger's "Wagner without Fear" is one of the most enjoyable, informative, loving and entertaining books on this very trying genius that I have ever read. I picked it up at Seattle Opera last summer. I was in town preparing a feature for BBC Music Mag (US edition) on Seattle's ongoing, rather astonishing passion for Richard Wagner. I'd taken in a Ben Heppner recital, the International Wagner Voices Competition and a knock-out Aida with my best-ever Amneris, Stephanie Blythe. For the sake of my bank balance, I try to stay away from the shop at Seattle Opera. Their Ring-related stock is tasteful, often beautiful, sometimes amusing. There's a little corner for second-hand books on opera that often throws up a treasure I can't afford. And anyone passing through should treat themselves to Seattle education director Perry Lorenzo's insightful and entertaining CD guide to the Ring.

But this summer, I wandered in - I always do, and there was William Berger's 442 page guide to Wagner. I'd intended to save it for the bus journey back up to Vancouver. It looked like a dip-in kind of a book. I read it in one go. Berger welcomes us to the art of Richard Wagner and takes us on through his 'strange life and career', all the operas, guides to 'Wagner Issues' (anti-Semitism, nationalism among others) Wagner on CD, Wagner on Film, Wagner Soundtracks and rounds it all up with "Making the Hadj" - a pithy guide to a trip to Bayreuth.


If this all sounds like standard fare for a Wagner guide, Berger's combination of vast and deep knowledge with a sense of humour and an awareness of how uncomfortable and absurd Wagnerian ecstasy can be, make this the one book to buy for any of your friends who are contemplating a plunge into the Wagnerian ocean. Not only does he explain the plots and tell the reader what to listen for musically, he also provides sections such as: "Basics: When to Eat, Drink And Visit the Restroom", "Lobby Talk" (In Walkure this is "a note about horses and music") and, my favourite, the refreshingly honest: " Rough Spots and How to Get Through Them."

No comments: